Please note: All aspects of the Fall 2020 New Student Organization Process will take place digitally for the health and safety of everyone involved. This page will be updated with information as available. Please contact Jessica Weed (email@example.com) with any questions!
Haven’t found your place? Start a new organization that fits your interests and needs! See the steps below for creating a new organization on campus. We conduct our New Student Organization process at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters only.
The New Org Applications for Fall 2020 will open on July 27th and close on September 4th. See the First step below for applying!
1.Online Application: Students wishing to start a new organization begin by completing the online application on BeInvolved (long onto beinvolved.jmu.edu with your JMU credentials and DUO, click the “Organizations” tab, and then click “Register an Organization” on the left side. There will be a blue button at the bottom that says “Register a New Organization”). Application requirements include:
- 8 founding members for the organization that are currently enrolled JMU students of any class standing. You must submit their campus email (@dukes.jmu.edu) or their name will not be counted.
- JMU Faculty/staff advisor (either full time or part time, per JMU Policy 3101). This person cannot be a graduate student.
- Need help finding an advisor? We can help! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance finding an advisor.
- National affiliation information (if relevant)
- Supplemental questions, including:
- What is the purpose of your organization?
- What types of activities do you foresee this organization participation in and/or hosting?
- Is there a student organization on campus that is similar to your proposed organization? If so, how would yours be different? Have you spoken to anyone in the similar organization about combining efforts?
Please note that an organization constitution is not required at the time of applying, but one must be completed and submitted before being recognized. More will be discussed in future steps.
2. Creating Excellent Organizations (CEO) Workshop Series: After submitting the online application, organizations will be confirmed to participate in the CEO process. This process will be digital via Canvas for the Fall 2020 semester for the health and safety of all participants. This page will be updated with information as it is available.
Topics that will be covered are:
- Constitution Overviews
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Club House
- Nuts & Bolts
- Risk Management
3. Constitution Meeting: Organizations will meet with a Student Activities & Involvement staff member to discuss their constitution and answer any other questions the organization may have. Constitution drafts are due 24 hours before the meetings so that Student Activities staff can provide feedback and comments on the constitution during this meeting. A final version of the constitution needs to be uploaded to the organization’s BeInvolved page before the organization will be considered recognized.
Constitution Meetings will take place digitally for the Fall 2020 cohort. Please check back for more information.