Please note: All aspects of the Spring 2021 New Student Organization Process will take place digitally for the health and safety of everyone involved. This page will be updated with information as available. Please contact Jessica Weed (firstname.lastname@example.org) with any questions!
Haven’t found your place? Start a new organization that fits your interests and needs! See the steps below for creating a new organization on campus. New Student Organization applications open at the beginning of the Fall and Spring semesters.
The New Org Applications for Spring 2021 will be available on January 19th!
NEW THIS SEMESTER: Rolling applications open until March 1! Applications will be approved as they are submitted and organizations added to the Canvas Course. Organizations must complete all steps below by March 15th.
1.Online Application: Students wishing to start a new organization begin by completing the online application on BeInvolved (long onto beinvolved.jmu.edu with your JMU credentials and DUO, click the “Organizations” tab, and then click “Register an Organization” on the left side. There will be a blue button at the bottom that says “Register a New Organization”). Application requirements include:
- 3 founding members for the organization that are currently enrolled JMU students of any class standing. You must submit their campus email (@dukes.jmu.edu) or their name will not be counted.
- JMU Faculty/staff adviser (either full time or part time, per JMU Policy 3101). This person cannot be a graduate student.
- Need help finding an adviser? We can help! Email email@example.com for assistance finding an advisor.
- National affiliation information (if relevant)
- Supplemental questions, including:
- What is the purpose of your organization?
- What types of activities do you foresee this organization participation in and/or hosting?
- Is there a student organization on campus that is similar to your proposed organization? If so, how would yours be different? Have you spoken to anyone in the similar organization about combining efforts?
Please note that an organization constitution is not required at the time of applying, but one must be completed and submitted before being recognized. More will be discussed in future steps.
2. Creating Excellent Organizations (CEO) Workshop Series: After submitting the online application, organizations will be confirmed to participate in the CEO process. This process will be digital via Canvas for the Spring 2021 semester for the health and safety of all participants. The Canvas course will have presentations to be viewed and quizzes to be completed over the topics below. Only 1 person each of the presentations and quizzes on behalf of the organization, and that person can vary based on the topic (i.e. the President may want to complete the Constitution presentation/quiz while the intended treasurer may want to complete the banking & finance presentation/quiz).
Topics that will be covered are:
- Constitution Overviews
- Diversity & Inclusion
- Club House
- Nuts & Bolts
- Risk Management
3. Constitution Meeting: Organizations will meet with a Student Activities & Involvement staff member to discuss their constitution and answer any other questions the organization may have. Constitution drafts will be uploaded as an assignment on the Canvas course so that Student Activities staff can provide feedback and comments on the constitution during this meeting. A final version of the constitution needs to be uploaded to the organization’s BeInvolved page before the organization will be considered recognized.
Constitution Meetings will take place digitally for the Spring 2021 cohort. SAI staff will reach out to organizations for scheduling this meeting after they have uploaded the constitution draft.
4.Recognition: Once the organization has completed the presentations, quizzes, and have met with SAI staff to discuss their constitutions, the organization will be recognized when the final constitution has been uploaded to the org’s BeInvolved page. SAI staff will confirm the required aspects of the constitution, and then finalize the recognition by:
- Making the organization’s BeInvolved page viewable to the public
- Alerting Event Management & Scheduling of the new organization
- Adding the organization to the Club House check-in process for authorized use
The organization will be fully recognized and in good standing with full privileges offered to all of our orgs!