Thank you for serving as a club advisor! The impact you have on students is immense and the Student Activities & Involvement office thanks you. Please utilize the resources below, as necessary. If you have any questions, please contact Jessica Weed - firstname.lastname@example.org.Student Organizations Advisors Video from Technology and Design - JMU on Vimeo.
Below are links to different resources you may feel free to use as often or little, as needed. They are there to serve as guidelines to help improve group cohesion when issues may arise within your group. Again, feel free to contact our office at any time if you feel if there is something we can help you with!
Effective Officer Transition (PowerPoint)
Group Development (PowerPoint)
Inner Organizational Problems (PowerPoint)
Members Problems (PowerPoint)
Run Effective Meetings (PowerPoint)
Sexual Assault Response & Resources (Website)
The Clery Act (Website)
What are my responsibilities as an advisor?
- The policies, responsibilities, and purpose of club advisors are outlined in Policy 3101: Faculty/Staff Advisors to Student Organizations.
What paperwork does the Student Activities & Involvement office need me to sign?
- You’ll sign a Policy Confirmation Form when you first take on your advisor role. After that you will sign a Policy Compliance Form annually; the club officers also must sign form. Your club officers are responsible for bringing you this paperwork to sign. This is the only paperwork that is mandatory and occurs yearly.
If I need to step down as advisor, how do I do that?
- First, we recommend letting your club officers know. Next, you should notify the Student Activities & Involvement office (email@example.com); we can help your club identify a new advisor and complete the appropriate paperwork.
I want to become a club advisor! How do I do that?
- There is a tab under Advisor Resources that says “Advisor Interest Form”. Please fill in your information and submit the form. You will be contacted shortly!
Can I use JMU letterhead to send out club mailings / solicitations?
- No. Policy 1502 outlines appropriate use of the JMU letterhead. JMU letterhead indicates business activity of the University and should not be used for club business.
If I have an additional question not answered here, whom should I contact?
- Student Activities & Involvement office (Beinvolved@jmu.edu) is always available to assist you with any club concerns. We can be contacted at 540-568-8157.