Haven’t found your place? Start a new organization that fits your interests and needs! See the steps below for creating a new organization on campus.
Important Dates for Spring 2020:
- Applications Open: Monday, December 2nd at 12am
- Applications Close: Friday, January 17th at 1pm
- CEO Session 1: Week of January 20th
- CEO Session 2: Week of January 27th
- Constitution Meetings: Week of February 10th
- New Org Showcase: Week of February 17th (Date TBD)
1.Online Application: Students wishing to start a new organization begin by completing the online application on BeInvolved (long onto beinvolved.jmu.edu with your JMU credentials and DUO, click the “Organizations” tab, and then click “Register an Organization” on the left side). Application requirements include:
- 8 founding members for the organization that are currently enrolled JMU students of any class standing. You must submit their campus (@dukes.jmu.edu) email or their name will not be counted.
- JMU Faculty/staff advisor (either full time or part time, per JMU Policy 3101). This person cannot be a graduate student.
- National affiliation information (if relevant)
- Supplemental questions, including:
- What is the purpose of your organization?
- What types of activities do you foresee this organization participation in and/or hosting?
- Is there a student organization on campus that is similar to your proposed organization? If so, how would yours be different? Have you spoken to anyone in the similar organization about combining efforts?
Please note that an organization constitution is not required at the time of applying, but one must be completed and submitted before being recognized. More will be discussed in future steps.
2. Creating Excellent Organizations (CEO) Workshop Series: After submitting the online application, organizations will be confirmed to participate in the CEO process. Organizations need send two representatives to Session 1 and Session 2. Ideally, at least one individual will be an expected organization officer or leader. Each session will be offered twice (schedule below); representatives only need to attend once and do not need to attend together. Representatives will need to sign-in to receive credit for attending on behalf of their organization. Failure for an organization to have two representatives attend a session will result in being dropped from the process and will need to apply again the following semester.
Session 1 – Topics: Constitution Overviews, Diversity & Inclusion, BeInvolved, Club House
Tuesday, January 21st, 5-6:30 in Madison Union 306
Friday, January 24th, 2:30-4 in Madison Union 305
Session 2 – Topics: Banking, Nuts & Bolts, Risk Management
Tuesday, January 28th, 5-6:30 in Madison Union 404
Friday, January 31st, 2:30-4 in Madison Union Ballroom
3. Constitution Meeting: Organizations will have two representatives attend a meeting with a Student Activities & Involvement staff member to discuss their constitution and answer any other questions the organization may have. Constitution drafts are before the meetings so that Student Activities staff can provide feedback and comments on the constitution during this meeting. A final version of the constitution needs to be dropped off to Student Activities & Involvement with the Constitution Authorization Form for their organization file and also uploaded to the organization’s BeInvolved page before the New Org Showcase.
Constitution Meetings will take place during the week of February 10th. Constitutions will be due no later than 24 hours before an org’s scheduled meeting.
4. New Org Showcase:
The New Org Showcase is where recently recognized organizations have the opportunity to table not only to recruit members, but to introduce themselves to the campus community. This will be an open event for anyone to attend. Organizations will already be recognized and have full privileges by the time of this tabling opportunity, so they may promote themselves as full members of the JMU community.
Helpful Resources for New Orgs
- Constitution Template
- Constitution Checklist
- Constitution Reflection Sheet
- Constitution Confirmation Form
- President & Advisor Expectations Worksheet
- The Role of the Advisor
- Intro and Constitution Writing PPT
- Diversity & Inclusion for Orgs PPT
- Club House Website
- Risk Management PPT
- Budgeting & Finance PPT
- Nuts & Bolts Website
- BeInvolved Tutorials