Tax ID (EIN)
Your club’s tax ID, or EIN, is your federal tax ID number. Student organizations are not permitted to use the university’s tax ID or tax-exempt number. Student organizations are not permitted to share tax ID information. Student Activities & Involvement does not keep a record of your club’s tax ID number. Make sure to pass this information along when new people are elected into office or a new advisor joins the group. Organizations wishing to open bank accounts must have their advisor apply for an Employee Identification Number (EIN) by contacting the IRS.
Already have an EIN but don’t know what it is?
- Call the IRS at 1-800-829-4933 to immediately receive your EIN over the phone.
- If you have an account with Commonwealth One Federal Credit Union, they have it on file. You can go by and ask them for that number.
Click here for information on how to request an new Tax ID (EIN) number.
- Fundraising: There are many fundraising options on campus. One of the most popular is working concessions at JMU Athletic Events!
Non-profit organizations (including recognized student organizations) can raise money by working at the concession stands during JMU Football and Basketball games and other events.
firstname.lastname@example.org or wenger-samantha@aramarkcom
How to sign-up: Pick up a group application from Madison Grill or email: email@example.com for an electronic copy.
Volunteers needed: 5 or more for any event
Money Raised: 10% commission of sales ($50 per person guarantee)
- Contingency Funds: As a recognized student organization on campus, you are eligible for Contingency Funds through the Student Government Association. Contingency is money from student fees which is given to groups to hold events, go to conferences, etc. If you need help starting a new event, or fundraising just is not covering all of your costs, you can apply for contingency. Any recognized JMU student organization in good standing with Student Activities & Involvement for at least four months is eligible. Organizations must also show they have exhausted all forms of fundraising.
- Don’t forget to do the Cash Handling training!
If you have questions that your treasurer cannot answer, first ask your Faculty/Staff Advisor. If there are more questions about money, please contact Paula Lam, Assistant Director for Finance in University Unions, at firstname.lastname@example.org
How to Open a Bank Account
While you are not required to open a bank account on campus, here are the steps to opening an account at Commonwealth One located in Madison Union: Org Bank Accounts