To apply to be a Leadership Counselor
for Mark Your Mark on Madison (MYMOM),
What Is MYMOM?
MAKE YOUR MARK ON MADISON is a semester long Leadership Program led by upper-class leadership counselors focusing on helping Freshman and Sophomore students develop leadership skills and find their place at JMU. By providing insight and exploration into personal values, diversity, communication, and general leadership skills necessary for positive involvement on campus, participants are able to make well-thought out choices about their involvement on campus.
It is the goal of the program to help you connect with people and activities that meet your hopes, values and expectations during your time here and allow you to “Make Your Mark” at JMU.
Questions? Email Emily Kearney and Hannah Pellegrino at JMUmymom2016@gmail.com
Meet the MYMOM Leadership Counselors:
Frequently Asked Questions About MYMOM:
Who can be involved in the Program?
- Any freshman or sophomore student who is looking to enhance their JMU experience through extracurricular involvement can apply to be part of the program. The program is also open to juniors or seniors looking for an excellent leadership opportunity to mentor an underclassmen council.
When are the meetings?
- Participants meet every Monday night from 7:00PM-9:15PM in the Highlands Room in Festival, beginning in the end of September and ending with a final banquet early December before finals week. Attendance on Monday evenings is a requirement of the program.
Apply to be a Participant
- All students interested in participating in the Fall 2015 MYMOM Program, must submit an application, the link is below, to the Office of Student Activities & Involvement by 5pm on September 16th. Applications will be reviewed by the staff and selected students will be contacted to set up an interview for the following week.
When would I hear if I was accepted?
- Selected applicants will be asked to participate in group interviews from September 17th-22nd. A final group of Participants will be chosen and notified no later than September 22nd. If you are applying to be a participant, please save the date Sunday September 26th, as we want full attendance to our retreat! (Please apply even if you are unable to attend retreat due to a prior commitment!)
What are some other fun things that I would have to look forward to in the MYMOM program?
- You will attend a motivating and interactive retreat to kick off the program! This will be an opportunity to meet the other participants in your council along with your two upper class Leadership Counselors and begin to form friendships that will span your time here at JMU and beyond.
- You have the opportunity to interact with faculty and staff at JMU through weekly sessions on some of the most important issues facing student leaders and our University.
- You will participate in a community service project where the link between leadership and service will be experienced firsthand. Additionally, this service experience allows you to explore opportunities to volunteer in the Harrisonburg community.
2015 Participant Application & Schedule:
Due: Wednesday, September 16th by 5pm at Student Activities and Involvement (Warren 320).
2015 Program Schedule:
|Saturday, September 26||Kick-Off Retreat|
|Monday, September 28||Colors of Leadership|
|Monday, October 5||Personal Values|
|Monday, October 12||Organizational Values|
|Monday, October 19||Service In Leadership|
|Monday, October 26||Difficult Conversations|
|Monday, November 2||Diversity|
|Monday, November 9||How Others Perceive You|
|Monday, November 16||Ethical Challenges inn Leadership|
|Monday, November 23||Thanksgiving Break|
|Monday, November 30||Encouraging the Heart|
|Monday, December 7||End of the Program Banquet|