To apply to be a Leadership Counselor in
Mark Your Mark on Madison (MYMOM),
Thanks for applying to be a Leadership Counselor!
Please email Brittney and Tiarra MYMOM@jmu.edu for more information!
Applications due: Friday, February 10th by 5PM
Please turn in your application via e-mail @ MYMOM@jmu.edu or Student Activities and Involvement (Madison Union 320).
Make Your Mark On Madison is a semester-long commitment that is geared specifically toward first and second year students. The program meets every Monday night from 7-9:15p.m. Participants will hear speakers from all across the JMU community discuss different facets of leadership including integrity, empowerment, and teamwork. There is also a small group reflection and discussion aspect following the presenters.
Questions?! Email Brittney & Tiarra at MYMOM@jmu.edu
We hope you will join us this Fall in discovering how you can Make Your Mark here at JMU!
Meet the 2016 MYMOM Leadership Counselors:
Expectations of a Leadership Counselor
- Be an enthusiastic and involved member of the JMU community
- Be willing to purposefully invest in the lives of first and second year students
- Commit to attending training sessions one night a week in the Spring and Fall
- Be able to facilitate discussions, and icebreakers in a group setting
- Be able to commit a significant amount of time outside of weekly meetings to plan for time spent with councils.
- Be willing to learn and grow in your leadership capacity
- Be open and honest about your JMU experiences and how they have shaped you as a leader
- Be passionate about your role as a student leader
Spring 2017 Responsibilities:
- Participate in an overnight counselor retreat Friday February 24th through Saturday February 25th. (Contact Brittney and Tiarra with scheduling concerns)
- Attend training sessions on Monday nights (7-9:15pm)
- Schedule and attend one on one meetings with Brittney and Tiarra
- Schedule one meeting with Kristin Muncy
Fall 2017 Responsibilities:
- Help advertise the program and recruit participants for the semester
- Attend weekly training and planning sessions (for which you will receive class credit) beginning the first week of classes
- Read and evaluate participant applications
- Conduct participant interviews
- Attend a participant and counselor retreat in September
- Attend all Monday night sessions with your council (7-9:15pm)
- Facilitate reflections and discussions with your council
- Meet with your partner outside of weekly meetings to plan for Monday nights
- Schedule and attend one on one meetings with Adam and Lauren
- Be involved in the lives of the students in your council
- Conduct one on one meetings with your council members between you and your partner
- Be enrolled in HRD475: Seminar in Leadership which provides insight to Monday night sessions and planning
Spring 2018 Responsibilities:
- Remain active in the lives of your participants
- Schedule and attend 1 event with your councils
- Help in the interview and selection process for the 2018 LCs
Frequently Asked Questions About MYMOM:
Who can be involved in MYMOM?
- Any Freshmen or Sophomore student who is looking to enhance their JMU experience through extracurricular involvement can apply to be part of the program in the fall.
- The program is also open to juniors or seniors looking for an excellent leadership opportunity to mentor an underclassmen council. The application process for Leadership Counselors takes place in the Spring semester. Be on the look out for more information!
When are the meetings?
- Participants meet every Monday night from 7:00PM-9:15PM in the Highlands Room in Festival, beginning in the end of September and ending with a final banquet early December before finals week. Attendance on Monday evenings is a requirement of the program.
How do I apply to be a participant?
- All Freshmen and Sophomore students interested in participating in the Fall 2017 MYMOM Program, must submit an application, the link is above, to the Office of Student Activities & Involvement by 5pm on September 14th. When dropping off applications, students should be prepared to set up an interview within the next few days.
When would I hear if I was accepted?
- Selected applicants will be asked to participate in group interviews from September 15th-18th. A final group of Participants will be chosen and notified no later than September 20th. If you are applying to be a participant, please save the date Saturday September 24th, as we want full attendance to our retreat! Retreat will take place on campus and lunch will be provided. (Please apply even if you are unable to attend retreat due to a prior commitment!)
What are some other fun things that I would have to look forward to in the MYMOM program?
- You will attend a motivating and interactive retreat to kick off the program! This will be an opportunity to meet the other participants in your council along with your two upper-class Leadership Counselors and begin to form friendships that will span your time here at JMU and beyond.
- You have the opportunity to interact with faculty and staff at JMU through weekly sessions on some of the most important issues facing student leaders and our University.
- You will participate in a community service project where the link between leadership and service will be experienced firsthand. Additionally, this service experience allows you to explore opportunities to volunteer in the Harrisonburg community.
Tentative Fall 2017 Participant Schedule:
Tentative 2017 Program Schedule: