To apply to be a Leadership Counselor in
Mark Your Mark on Madison (MYMOM),
Please email Brittney and Tiarra MYMOM@jmu.edu for more information!
Applications due: Wednesday, February 8th @ 5PM
Please turn in your application at Student Activities and Involvement (Madison Union 320).
Make Your Mark On Madison is a semester-long commitment that is geared specifically toward first and second year students. The program meets every Monday night from 7-9:15p.m. Participants will hear speakers from all across the JMU community discuss different facets of leadership including integrity, empowerment, and teamwork. There is also a small group reflection and discussion aspect following the presenters.
Questions?! Email Brittney & Tiarra at MYMOM@jmu.edu
We hope you will join us this Fall in discovering how you can Make Your Mark here at JMU!
Meet the MYMOM Leadership Counselors:
Frequently Asked Questions About MYMOM:
Who can be involved in MYMOM?
- Any Freshmen or Sophomore student who is looking to enhance their JMU experience through extracurricular involvement can apply to be part of the program in the fall.
- The program is also open to juniors or seniors looking for an excellent leadership opportunity to mentor an underclassmen council. The application process for Leadership Counselors takes place in the Spring semester. Be on the look out for more information!
When are the meetings?
- Participants meet every Monday night from 7:00PM-9:15PM in the Highlands Room in Festival, beginning in the end of September and ending with a final banquet early December before finals week. Attendance on Monday evenings is a requirement of the program.
How do I apply to be a participant?
- All Freshmen and Sophomore students interested in participating in the Fall 2016 MYMOM Program, must submit an application, the link is above, to the Office of Student Activities & Involvement by 5pm on September 14th. When dropping off applications, students should be prepared to set up an interview within the next few days.
When would I hear if I was accepted?
- Selected applicants will be asked to participate in group interviews from September 15th-18th. A final group of Participants will be chosen and notified no later than September 20th. If you are applying to be a participant, please save the date Saturday September 24th, as we want full attendance to our retreat! Retreat will take place on campus and lunch will be provided. (Please apply even if you are unable to attend retreat due to a prior commitment!)
What are some other fun things that I would have to look forward to in the MYMOM program?
- You will attend a motivating and interactive retreat to kick off the program! This will be an opportunity to meet the other participants in your council along with your two upper-class Leadership Counselors and begin to form friendships that will span your time here at JMU and beyond.
- You have the opportunity to interact with faculty and staff at JMU through weekly sessions on some of the most important issues facing student leaders and our University.
- You will participate in a community service project where the link between leadership and service will be experienced firsthand. Additionally, this service experience allows you to explore opportunities to volunteer in the Harrisonburg community.
Fall 2016 Participant Schedule:
2016 Program Schedule:
|Saturday, September 24||Kick-Off Retreat|
|Monday, September 26||Colors of Leadership|
|Monday, October 3||Personal Values|
|Monday, October 10||Organizational Values|
|Monday, October 17||Difficult Conversations|
|Monday, October 24||Diversity|
|Monday, October 31||How Others Experience You|
|Monday, November 7||Servant Leadership|
|Monday, November 14||Ethical Challenges in Leadership|
|Monday, November 21||Thanksgiving Break|
|Monday, November 28||Encouraging the Heart|
|Monday, December 5||End of the Program Banquet|