The Student Government Association of James Madison University is an organization dedicated to collaborating with all members of its community to advocate for student opinion, while fostering a proactive, inclusive environment.
Within SGA, there is the Executive Council and the Executive Staff that make up the Leadership Team.
Also sitting on the Leadership Team is the Speaker of the Senate, Zan Guendert, who leads Senate and oversees Committees.
- University Services: The University Services Committee acts as a voice for the students, amplifying student opinion to appropriate administrators, executing projects to resolve concerns and promoting student-based initiatives on campus. The Committee focuses on aspects of student life including transportation, dining, housing, recreation, safety, substance abuse, technology, and University services. (Chair: John Carr)
- Academic Affairs: The Academic Affairs Committee designs and executes projects that may be classified under a range of categories, including, but not limited to, the following: Professors, Advising, Courses, Grading Scale, Academic Ethics and Rigor, and Facilities. In addition, the Academic Affairs Committee encourages conversations between colleges, faculty, administration and students to support these projects and strengthen JMU’s academic culture and scholarly impact. (Chair: Drew Barrar)
- Community Engagement: The Community Engagement Committee is the primary linkage institution between the student body, the campus, and the Harrisonburg community. This committee works to educate and inform students and community members regarding topics of importance and public interest, as well as learn from the community on what it wants to see the Student Government Association focus. (Chair: Amanda Reeder)
- Legislative Action: Matters concerning legislation at the local, state, and national level shall be assigned to this committee. The committee shall be active in VSLA.
- By the last Senate meeting of October, this committee shall submit a lobbying agenda in resolution form to the Student Senate for approval.
- This committee shall monitor the votes of delegates on issues of interest to students who attend Virginia schools generally.
- This committee shall lobby delegates to support or oppose legislation concerning James Madison University students. (Chair: Renzo Olivari)
- Finance: Matters concerning finances of the Student Government Association, contingency requests, program grants, and the Front End Budget process shall be assigned to this committee. The membership of this committee shall consist of two college Senators, two campus Senators, and three Senators selected at large. The committee will hold budget hearings for all recognized Front End Budgeted student groups seeking funds in the spring of the year. (Chair: David Vaughn)
- Membership: The membership committee handles all internal membership matters of the Student Government Association, which includes establishing House Rules per the Constitutional process, tracking attendance, and planning retreats and other team building activities and gatherings. (Chair: Alicia Campos)
Serving on committees are Senators and Representatives.
- Senators: Senators are the voting members of SGA. They must attend the weekly Tuesday meetings and their weekly committee meetings, being only allowed to miss four meetings total. There are a variety of ways to become a Senator, serving as a College Senator, Residence Area Senator, Class Council Senator, or At-Large Senator.
- Representative: Representatives are members who can’t vote, but can still have their voices heard. They only have to attend a total of four senate meetings per semester, but must attend all committee meetings.
Speaker of the Student Senate
Membership Committee Chair
Legislative Action Committee Chair
University Services Committee Chair
Academic Affairs Committee Chair
Community Engagement Chair
- Tory Atkins, President
- Austin Zymroz, Vice President
- Tommy Koehler, Secretary of Communications
- Elise Scheeren, Secretary of Events
- Seemran Patel, President
- Sachin Sundar, Vice President
- KC Kristian, Secretary of Communications
- Molly Reynolds, Secretary of Events
- Julianna Boettger, President
- Greg Turner, Vice President
- Ben Rosenberger, Secretary of Communications
- Layne Rickabaugh, Secretary of Events
- Reid Madison, President
- Michael Boone, Vice President
- Aaliyah McLean, Secretary of Communications
- Dustin Norton, Secretary of Events