The Student Government Association of James Madison University is an organization dedicated to collaborating with all members of its community to advocate for student opinion, while fostering a proactive, inclusive environment.
Within SGA, there is the Executive Council and the Executive Staff that make up the Leadership Team.
Student Body President
Student Body Vice President
- University Services: The University Services Committee acts as a voice for the students, amplifying student opinion to appropriate administrators, executing projects to resolve concerns and promoting student-based initiatives on campus. The Committee focuses on aspects of student life including transportation, dining, housing, recreation, safety, substance abuse, technology, and University services. (Chair: Colin Moor)
- Academic Affairs: The Academic Affairs Committee designs and executes projects that may be classified under a range of categories, including, but not limited to, the following: Professors, Advising, Courses, Grading Scale, Academic Ethics and Rigor, and Facilities. In addition, the Academic Affairs Committee encourages conversations between colleges, faculty, administration and students to support these projects and strengthen JMU’s academic culture and scholarly impact. (Chair: Calli Dukas)
- Community Engagement: The Community Engagement Committee is the primary linkage institution between the student body, the campus, and the Harrisonburg community. This committee works to educate and inform students and community members regarding topics of importance and public interest, as well as learn from the community on what it wants to see the Student Government Association focus. (Chair: Brie Lewis)
- Legislative Action: Matters concerning legislation at the local, state, and national level shall be assigned to this committee. The committee shall be active in VSLA.
- By the last Senate meeting of October, this committee shall submit a lobbying agenda in resolution form to the Student Senate for approval.
- This committee shall monitor the votes of delegates on issues of interest to students who attend Virginia schools generally.
- This committee shall lobby delegates to support or oppose legislation concerning James Madison University students. (Chair: Eric Kaufmann)
- Finance: Matters concerning finances of the Student Government Association, contingency requests, program grants, and the Front End Budget process shall be assigned to this committee. The membership of this committee shall consist of two college Senators, two campus Senators, and three Senators selected at large. The committee will hold budget hearings for all recognized Front End Budgeted student groups seeking funds in the spring of the year. (Chair: Cayhan Movaghari)
- Membership: The membership committee handles all internal membership matters of the Student Government Association, which includes establishing House Rules per the Constitutional process, tracking attendance, and planning retreats and other team building activities and gatherings. (Chair: Hannah Chmielewski)
- Communications: This team focuses on all marketing, media and technological needs of the Student Government Association. With that, they must keep James Madison University informed and coordinate with the Office of Public Affairs. This team sends out press releases as necessary, along with updating all media outlets and online sources, specifically the website. They will generate all marketing efforts, including but not limited to posters, flyers, banners, photograph and online graphics. (Chair: Halle Forbes)
- Diversity: Beginning in the Academic Year 2017-2018, this committee shall deal with matters concerning multicultural and diversity issues. All matters concerning diversity of under-represented groups at James Madison University shall be assigned to this committee, or this committee shall work together with another committee to share responsibilities. This committee will be responsible for seeing that there is an extra emphasis and attention paid to diversity-related issues at JMU (Chair: Bryana Moore).
Serving on committees are Senators and Representatives.
- Senators: Senators are the voting members of SGA. They must attend the weekly Tuesday meetings and their weekly committee meetings, being only allowed to miss four meetings total. There are a variety of ways to become a Senator, serving as a College Senator, Residence Area Senator, Class Council Senator, or At-Large Senator.
- Representative: Representatives are members who can’t vote, but can still have their voices heard. They only have to attend a total of four senate meetings per semester, but must attend all committee meetings.
Diversity Committee Chair
Academic Affairs Committee Chair
Legislative Action Committee Chair
Community Engagement Committee Chair
- Julianna Boettger, President
- Greg Turner, Vice President
- Ben Rosenberger, Secretary of Communications
- Layne Rickabaugh, Secretary of Events
- Aaliyah McLean, President
- Naima Chughtai, Vice President
- Reid Madison, Secretary of Communications
- Derek Light, Secretary of Events