Apply to be on Staff!
Below is information for joining the Kijiji Staff Team. You are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to read through the following information BEFORE submitting your application. Whether you do or not, you will be responsible for the material and information below. PLEASE read all of it!
Kijiji Staff Information
Kijiji Staff positions are open to upperclass students and graduate students at James Madison University. The purpose of the Kijiji Citizens of Influence program is to help JMU students discover their passion and and develop the skills and techniques they need to make a positive social change in the community. Our vision is to see students become citizens of influence, leading the change in their lives, their organizations, their communities and their world.
Kijiji Staff Leaders (KSLs) will promote the educational process by working with staff in the Dux Center to provide an environment conducive to the personal development of students in the Kijiji program. KSLs apply for positions in late Spring Semester, attend a training program during the week before classes start in Fall Semester, and begin service immediately after training ends.
For 2014-15 we are anticipating needing 3-4 new KSLs. These individuals will be trained to facilitate and lead discussions, as well as other interactive, experiential learning activities all focused on helping students create, develop and implement their own change action project.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What are the qualifications for being a member of the Kijiji Staff?
Candidates must be an upperclass student at the start of tenure as a Kijiji Staff member. They must also successfully complete the Kijiji Staff member selection process (described in question 2). Candidates must possess and maintain a 2.3 cumulative grade point average. Violations of college policy may affect candidacy.
2. What does the application process entail?
Applications will be submitted through an online process starting April 1st and ending by 5:00 pm April 11th. To apply, follow these simple steps:
- Visit the KSL Application page (see link at the bottom of this page).
- Complete the online application. You will receive an email confirmation that we have received your online application.
- Applications will be reviewed starting April 12th.
- Notification of acceptance into the Finalists’ round will be sent out no later than 10am, Monday, April 14th.
- Attendance at a Kijiji Meeting from 6:30-8:00p to shadow a current KSL is required of all finalists. You are asked to notify us, through the application process, of which night you will attend – either Monday, April 14th, or April 21st.
- A Group Interview from 8:15-10:00pm will also be required of all finalists. The dates for the Group Interviews will be either Monday, April 14th, or April 21st. You will indicate on your application which time will best work for you, in case you are chosen as a finalist.
3. What is the compensation for a Kijiji Staff member?
KSLs are paid a $750/semester stipend.
4. What are other benefits to being a Kijiji Staff member?
The Kijiji Staff Leader position provides a rich, unique and extremely valuable experience. Regardless of your path after James Madison University, all Kijiji Staff member positions provide opportunities to gain leadership and problem-solving skills. KSLs can reflect on their experience when questioned during interviews about teamwork, confrontation, conflict resolution, crisis management, problem solving, program development, etc. The Kijiji Staff positions afford the opportunity to create many lasting relationships through the Dux Center and James Madison University as a whole.
5. What time requirements do Kijiji Staff members have on a regular basis?
You can expect to spend about 6 hours per week as a Kijiji Staff member. (Early in the semester you may spend as much as 10 hours per week and later in the semester you may spend only 4 hours per week.) KSLs spend time completing staff training, attending weekly staff meetings, and fulfilling their responsibilities during the regularly scheduled weekly Kijiji activities for participants. There is also personal preparation time required to be ready to facilitate discussions, lead workshops, and engage with the Kijiji participants from week to week.
All of the following dates are CRITICAL, MANDATORY and CANNOT BE MISSED:
- April 28th: This will be a celebration dinner for all current participants and staff members of Kijiji. Newly selected KSLs are invited to join us in the celebration to be introduced and to meet some of the students they will be leading next year. A staff meeting will follow the banquet, lasting about 30-45 minutes. While participation in the celebration dinner is not required, attendance at the staff meeting following the dinner is required. Dinner will begin at 6:30 pm with the staff meeting expected to start around 7:45 pm.
- August 18th - 22nd: During this week before classes start in Fall Semester all KSLs will receive training for their role as a KSL. This staff retreat is usually held off campus at Mountain Valley Retreat and Conference Center. Almost all of KSL training and orientation takes place during this retreat. All meals, lodging (including bedding), and other necessary materials are provided. Missing any of this time is not acceptable.
- August 25th: KSL obligations begin on the first day of classes with an additional staff training meeting starting at 5:30 pm and ending at 9:30 pm. Dinner will be included with this training.
- September 1st: Kijiji Opening Night from 6:30-8:00 pm. This is the first meeting of Kijiji for the semester. KSLs will be actively involved in planning and directing the activities of this night to inform new and returning Kijiji participants of what to expect for the semester, help develop strong social connections, and have a fun evening together.
- September 19th – 20th: Kijiji Retreat with all KSLs and all participants. This will be off-campus. Departure from JMU will be approximately 4:00 pm Friday and return on Saturday around 6:00 pm.
- October 6th: Mid-semester Kijiji-wide program. Starting at 6:30 pm and ending at 8:00 pm.
- October 25th: Kijiji Retreat with all KSLs and all participants. This will be off-campus. Departure from JMU will be approximately 4:00 pm Friday and return on Saturday around 6:00 pm.
- November 17th: End-of-semester Kijiji-wide program. Starting at 6:30 pm and ending at 8:00 pm.
- December 1st: Program celebration dinner. Starting at 6:30 pm and ending at 8:00 pm.
KSL staff meetings will be scheduled weekly during each semester. Times for these meetings will are be determined during the August retreat and near the end of fall semester. Attendance is mandatory.
KSLs will also be expected to facilitate regular meetings with their small groups as scheduled with the participants. They could be held on Monday evenings from 6:30 – 8:00 pm when some rooms have already been scheduled. However, they could also be scheduled at other times, depending on when the group participants want/need to meet.
KSLs will also meet weekly one-on-one with the Program Director, Michael McCleve, depending on individual schedules.
6 . How early do Kijiji Staff Leaders have to be back before school starts in the Fall?
KSLs are expected back one week before classes start in the Fall semester. You are NOT available to participate on the Orientation Team, or with other organizations or employment opportunities that might require your involvement the week before classes start. You will be fully committed and engaged with the Kijiji Staff Leader training retreat during that time.
7 . How will I be contacted?
You will be updated via text message and/or by email. You will receive an email when your application materials have been received. Additional notices may be sent either through text messaging or email. Please check both and reply as requested.
Complete the Kijiji Staff Application HERE.