Apply to be on Staff!
Below is information for joining the Kijiji Staff Team. You are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to read through the following information BEFORE submitting your application. Whether you do or not, you will be responsible for the material and information below. PLEASE read all of it!
Kijiji Staff Information
Kijiji Staff positions are open to upperclass students and graduate students at James Madison University. The purpose of the Kijiji Citizens of Influence program is to help JMU students discover their passion and and develop the skills and techniques they need to make a positive social change in the community. Our vision is to see students become citizens of influence, leading the change in their lives, their organizations, their communities and their world.
Kijiji Staff Leaders (KSLs) will promote the educational process by working with staff in the Dux Center to provide an environment conducive to the personal development of students in the Kijiji program. KSLs apply for positions in late Fall Semester, attend a training program during the latter part of the week before school starts in Spring Semester, and begin service at the start of the Spring Semester.
For 2013 we are anticipating needing 4-6 new KSLs. These individuals will be trained to facilitate and lead discussions, as well as other interactive, experiential learning activities all focused on helping students create, develop and implement their own change action project. KSLs will also lead and conduct workshops held with larger groups of Kijiji participants. These workshops cover material such as the Introduction to the 7 Habits of Highly Effective College Students
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. What are the qualifications for being a member of the Kijiji Staff?
Candidates must be an upperclass student at the start of tenure as a Kijiji Staff member. They must also successfully complete the Kijiji Staff member selection process (described in question 2). Candidates must possess and maintain a 2.3 cumulative grade point average. Violations of college policy may affect candidacy.
2. What does the application process entail?
Applications will be submitted through an online process starting October 9th and ending by 11:59 pm November 2nd. To apply, follow these simple steps:
- Visit the KSL Application page (see bottom of this page).
- Complete the online application. You will receive an email confirmation that we have received your online application.
- Applications will be reviewed starting November 3rd.
- Notification of acceptance into the Finalists’ round will be sent out no later than 5pm, Saturday, November 3rd.
- A Group Interview will be required of all finalists. The date for the Group Interview will be Monday, November 5th at either 3:30-5:30 pm or 8:15-10:15 pm. You will indicate on your application which time will best work for you, in case you are chosen as a finalist.
3. What is the compensation for a Kijiji Staff member?
KSLs are paid a $750/semester stipend.
4. What are other benefits to being a Kijiji Staff member?
The Kijiji Staff Leader position provides a rich, unique and extremely valuable experience. Regardless of your path after James Madison University, all Kijiji Staff member positions provide opportunities to gain leadership and problem-solving skills. KSLs can reflect on their experience when questioned during interviews about teamwork, confrontation, conflict resolution, crisis management, problem solving, program development, etc. The Kijiji Staff positions afford the opportunity to create many lasting relationships through the Dux Center and James Madison University as a whole.
5. What time requirements do Kijiji Staff members have on a regular basis?
You can expect to spend about 6 hours per week as a Kijiji Staff member. (Early in the semester you may spend as much as 10 hours per week and later in the semester you may spend only 4 hours per week.) KSLs spend time completing staff training, attending weekly staff meetings, and fulfilling their responsibilities during the regularly scheduled weekly Kijiji activities for participants. There is also personal preparation time required to be ready to facilitate discussions, lead workshops, and engage with the Kijiji participants from week to week.
All of the following dates are CRITICAL, MANDATORY and CANNOT BE MISSED:
- November 29th: Starting at 5:30 pm this New KSL Orientation Meeting is for all KSLs. Initial orientation information and a schedule of important dates, as well as clarification of expectations and training will be provided at this dinner/training meeting held off campus. You can expect this orientation/training meeting to last at least 2 ½ hours.
- January 3rd – 6th: Beginning at 10:00 am on Thursday, January 3rd and continuing through about 10:00 am Sunday, January 6th, this staff retreat is held off campus at Mountain Valley Retreat and Conference Center. A major portion of KSL training and orientation takes place during this retreat. Missing any of this time is not acceptable.
- August 26th: Although it’s a long way off, notification of this date is being provided now so prospective staff will realize that the KSL obligations begin on the first day of classes with a staff training meeting starting at 5:30 pm and ending at 10:00 pm. Dinner will be included with this training.
KSL staff meetings will be scheduled weekly during spring and fall semesters. These meetings are held at 8:15 pm directly after Kijiji meetings on Mondays and typically last 45-60 minutes. Attendance is mandatory.
KSLs will also be expected to attend each weekly meeting/activity of the Kijiji program. The Kijiji program meetings are held Mondays, from 6:30 – 8 pm. KSLs are expected to be available 30 minutes before each meeting. In other words, from 6:00 – 8:00 pm each week.
6 . How early do Kijiji Staff Leaders have to be back before school starts in the Fall?
KSLs will not be expected back early before classes start in the Fall semester. You are free to participate on the Orientation Team, or with other organizations or employment opportunities that might require your involvement the week before classes start.
7 . How will I be contacted?
You will be updated via text message and/or by email. You will receive an email when your application materials have been received. Additional notices may be sent either through text messaging or email. Please check both and reply as requested.
Complete the Kijiji Staff Application HERE.