We are always looking for dedicated individuals who are committed to helping us fulfill our mission to support and empower our students and advance our nationally recognized community. A lesson learned each year is that chapters with significant faculty, staff, alumni, and community support perform better in all phases of fraternity and sorority life than those who do not. The addition of volunteers brings forth new energy and ideas that enhance the students’ experience and their positive impact on the JMU and Harrisonburg communities.
Opportunities are available for members of the University and Harrisonburg communities in the following areas:
– Chapter Advisor: Although advisory models differ based on council and organizational policy, our chapters are always in need of enthusiastic individuals to serve as advisors. As an advisor, you will have the opportunity to provide advice, leadership, and counsel to a fraternity or sorority on our campus.
– Excellence Awards Committee: Each January, the Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life recognizes its chapters at the Excellence Awards. This is a semi-formal event dedicating to highlight the successes of our chapters. Volunteers will, in pairs, read nominations as well as offer feedback and select a winner.
– Advisory Board Member: The Fraternity & Sorority Life Advisory Board is a group of campus-based individuals that provides oversight and guidance to professional and graduate staff members. They are also resources to our chapters as they provide constructive feedback regarding all aspects of fraternity and sorority life.
– Leadership Institute: Each January, 100 students and facilitators travel to Smith Mountain Lake, Virginia to receive instruction on Emotionally Intelligent Leadership as well as Kouzes and Posner’s The Leadership Challenge. Large group sessions offer new information in an engaging format, while small group facilitators augment the learning process by providing time for sharing and reflection. Small group facilitators are needed for this event.
– Council Judicial Boards: The Panhellenic and Interfraternity Council Judicial Boards hear alleged violations of our Standards Policy. Faculty and staff members are a vital part of the judicial process – not only do they assist in determining responsibility for a violation, but they are vital in providing educational sanctions for our chapters.
If you are interested in serving our fraternity/sorority community in one of these roles, or in other ways, please contact us.