Slide 1
Slide 1
Slide 2
Slide 2


Cash Handling Policy

The Treasurer of any Student Organization is required to complete online Cash Handling Training certification at the beginning of the Academic year or before the Organization’s first event involving money. This certification will apply to all events where cash is handled during the current Academic Year. If the position of Treasurer changes during the Academic year, the new Treasurer must be certified by completing the online Cash Handling Training.

Contractual Agreements

Performance or Performer’s contracts for student organizations:

Students may not sign contracts!

The contract must be brought to Student Activities & Involvement, Madison Union 320, prior to it being signed by the performer. Staff in the Student Activities & Involvement Office will prepare the contract by striking necessary clauses and/or attaching the JMU Addendum and a W-9 Form.

The student organization will be notified when they can pick up the contract and must mail it to the performer and get an ORIGINAL SIGNATURE IN BLUE INK.

After the performer or agent has signed the contract, the student organization must bring the contract back to Student Activities & Involvement for final signatures. The contract will be signed by a designated University official within 3-5 business days and the student organization will be notified to pick it up. The student organization must mail a fully executed contract to the performer or agent once all signatures have been obtained.

Allow at least 7 business days to complete these actions; however, the process could take up to 2 weeks. Please plan accordingly!


Film Policy

Any copyrighted film (VHS, DVD, etc.) in any university facilities, other than a private residence hall room, cannot be shown unless a license to show the film is obtained or special permission from the owner of the copyright is received. This requirement is mandatory regardless whether or not an admittance fee is charged.

Licensing can be obtained from Swank Motion Pictures at 1-800-876-3344. Currently licenses range from $300-$1000 per title. At least two weeks notice should be given to obtain a license. For more information, click here.

A copy of the license or permission letter must be received prior to the scheduled event and submitted to the appropriate scheduling office.

The only exception to this requirement is if a member of the faculty is using the film in the context of classroom instruction.

Food Policy

JMU, through contract with ARAMARK Corporation, maintains exclusive right to provide food service on all university property.

Fundraising Policy

Information concerning allowable forms of fundraising can be found on the Student Activities and Involvement website.

Prohibited forms of fundraising include gambling, raffles and poker tournaments. This is defined as the making, placing or receipt of any bet or wager in the Commonwealth of money or other thing of value, made in exchange for a chance to win a prize, stake or other consideration or thing of value, dependent upon the result of any game, contest or any other event the outcome of which is uncertain or a matter of chance, whether such game, contest or event occurs or is to occur inside or outside the limits of the Commonwealth.

“Raffle” means a lottery in which the prize is won by (i) a random drawing of the name or prearranged number of one or more persons purchasing chances or (ii) a random contest in which the winning name or preassigned number of one or more persons purchasing chances is determined by a race involving inanimate objects floating on a body of water, commonly referred to as a “duck race.”

Inclement Weather Procedures

Inclement Weather Procedure for Events in Madison Union, Grafton-Stovall Theater, Memorial Hall Auditorium, Festival Conference and Student Center, and General Purpose Classrooms

During times of inclement weather it is necessary for the university to close facilities and curtail services.

When the university announces an official closure or late opening, all events will be cancelled, unless the building coordinator (or responsible decision maker for the facility) approves the event to be reinstated.

The decision to reinstate an event lies solely with the building coordinator (or responsible decision maker for the facility). The primary purpose of the initial cancellation is safety; safety of the event attendees and safety of all university staff (including set up, break down, and support functions). Reinstatement of an event will not be driven solely by financial concerns.

If the sponsor of an event considers it absolutely necessary to hold the event, it will be the responsibility of the building coordinator (or responsible decision maker for the facility) to contact all necessary support services, including building coordination and event support, to make a decision whether to reinstate the event. Routine Events and Weekly Meetings will not be reinstated.

If an event is reinstated, the university is only able to make a good faith effort to support the event; weather conditions and priority of essential services may affect outcomes, even to the extent that it may become necessary to cancel the event at a later time.

Given that the university only makes official closure decisions Mon-Fri, on weekends for each building coordinator (or responsible decision maker for the facility) will make independent inclement weather decisions regarding events in their facility. The building coordinator (or responsible decision maker for the facility) is responsible to apply the same process as weekdays, seeking the input of necessary support services and making reinstatement decisions if requested with the safety of all in mind.

Off Campus Speakers Policy

If your event will have an Off Campus Speaker, you will need to complete the JMU Event Approval Form. Madison Union or Festival Scheduling Office will notify the appropriate University officials if the event is open to the public. If you plan to have a press conference, please notify the Director of Media Relations. If you have security needs, please contact the Director of Public Safety.

Open Burn Policy

Any open or exposed flame such as bonfires, candles, grills, etc. here to known as open burns on state property require approval at the JMU Vice President level or higher. This burn policy does not apply to the “built-in” grills at URec, Chandler Courtyard or village volleyball/basketball area.

Scheduled start times for open burns must be observed or the event will be canceled; with a maximum variation of one hour for inclement weather being the only exception.

Failure to follow these requirements or follow proper safety precautions may result in cancellation of the event. The State Fire Marshal’s office reserves the right to cancel any open burn without notice.

Please contact the JMU Safety Office, Tony Brown,, USB 102, 568-6765 at least thirty days prior to the event. You will also need to complete the Open Burn Requirement Form.

Outdoor Sound Policy

Amplified sound is only allowed as follows except for approved major university events.

Approved Locations:

Athletic Fields/Facilities, Commons (TDU Patio), Festival Amphitheater, Festival Lawn and Hillside Field

Approved Times:
Monday – Friday: 8am-10pm
Saturday – Sunday: 12pm-10pm

Posting Policy

The JMU Posting Policy must be adhered to when hanging posters or flyers on campus. Please click here to read this policy before printing posters to make sure all guidelines have been met. No flyers are ever to be put onto car windshields.

Posters and flyers MUST be stamped before they can be hung around campus. Posters should be taken to one of the information desks listed below to be stamped. Posters advertising an event can be hung ONLY on general-purpose bulletin boards. These bulletin boards are located in academic buildings, Carrier Library, Festival Conference & Student Center, Madison Union, Residence Halls, Student Success Center (1st floor only) and the breezeway of Wilson Hall.

  • Festival Scheduling Office, Room 2001, 8am-5pm – (540)568-8932
  • Taylor Down Under Info Desk – (540)568-7853
  • Madison Union Event Services Desk – (540)568-5555

Non-profit organizations that wish to post on campus must submit proof of Non-Profit status (a 501(C)3 letter with federal ID number).

Bands that would like to post should register with the JMU Event Management office located in Madison Union, Suite 102.

Resources for Info Desk Staff.

Public Safety Signature Approval Policy

Certain events REQUIRE a meeting with Public Safety to discuss event specifics and obtain approval signatures. This meeting should take place shortly after you book your space in order for Public Safety to prepare for your event. Waiting until 2 weeks prior to your event may result in cancellation due to lack of staff availability. Please note: Some events may require the presence of an officer or cadet and charges may be incurred by the sponsoring student organization. The following events require the approval of Public Safety:

  • Dance/Concert
  • Large Events (attendance of 250 or more)
  • Overnight Events
  • Walk/Runs
  • Event determined appropriate by the scheduling authority

Contact Sgt. John Campbell, Public Safety, for approval signature. You must call 568-6910 to set up an appointment. If Sgt. Campbell is not available, email or contact Lt. Bob Landes or Maj. Scott Coverstone. Completed and signed paperwork is due to the appropriate scheduling authority TWO weeks before the event date.

If the discussion and approval from Public Safety has not taken place prior to the due date for paperwork, the event will be CANCELLED.

Rehearsal Policy for Madison Union and Festival Scheduling

During Routine Request period:
Student organizations can only request 3 rehearsal dates per large event or performance. This applies to Grafton Stovall Theatre, Madison Union Ballroom, Memorial Auditorium, Festival Grand Ballroom, Highlands or any large room with a capacity of more than 100. Wilson Auditorium cannot be scheduled for rehearsals or practices.

    Academic Classrooms:  Rehearsals will not be allowed in academic classrooms. Exceptions may be made for weekends. All schedulers reserve the right to determine or restrict the scheduling of spaces/facilities.

6 Weeks prior to Event/Performance Date:
Additional rehearsal space can be requested 6 weeks prior to date of event or performance. At this time, the Nuts & Bolts representative must make an appointment with the scheduling staff in either Madison Union or Festival to discuss any requests for additional rehearsal space. Maximum scheduled rehearsal time is 3 hours.

    Academic Classrooms:  Rehearsals will not be allowed in academic classrooms. Exceptions may be made for weekends. All schedulers reserve the right to determine or restrict the scheduling of spaces/facilities.

Room Usage Policy

Room use at JMU is a collective responsibility. We all share the goal of keeping our facilities clean and organized not only for our use, but for others who are using the same space following your event.

  • Click here for additional information regarding Madison Union room usage guidelines.
  • Click here for additional information regarding Festival room usage guidelines.
  • Please leave the room as you found it (furniture returned to it’s original placement and excessive trash removed.) Misuse may result in suspension of room reservation privileges.

    Transportation Policy

    Any Student Organization using a university-owned vehicle, must comply with University Policy 4303 (Use of State Vehicles).

    Fraternities and sororities that fall under the FSL umbrella and wish to use trip or coach buses must contact the Fraternity and Sorority Office located on the fourth floor of Madison Union.

    Continued use of state vehicles is contingent upon compliance with the above regulations.

    Vendor Policy

    Most student clubs and organizations at JMU participate in some sort of fundraising activities. A list of approved vendors may be picked up in the Madison Union Scheduling Office or by clicking here. Vendors are allowed in the Madison Union Info/Sales area, Madison Union Patio, Highlands Room and Festival Patio.

    For information regarding how to become a vendor at JMU, see the Prospective Vendor Letter and obtain the Vendor Sales Approval Request Form. Once approved and scheduled to visit campus, click here to find out more information on your visit to campus.